Author Topic: Graphic card and type of rendering pictures  (Read 2037 times)

qqlovekerry

Graphic card and type of rendering pictures
« on: December 30, 2016, 02:27:49 AM »
Hello Dr. Stukowski and everyone,
I have two questions.
1. What kind of graphic card do I need if I use OVITO to render pictures and movies? I mean integrated graphic card or dedicated graphic card? And what is level needed? Better graphic card only speeds up the process or can offer a higher quality? Could you please give me some suggestions if I want to buy a new laptop or PC?
2. Is that possible to add some types of vector graphics to render pictures? For example pictures in eps or pdf format.
Thanks very much in advance!

Best Regards

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
Re: Graphic card and type of rendering pictures
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 11:24:12 AM »
1. OVITO requires graphics hardware that supports version 2.1 or later of the OpenGL standard. Virtually all graphics cards and integrated graphics units that you can buy today do this. The rendering quality does not depend on the hardware's capabilities, only the interactive performance does. If you work a lot with datasets containing tens of millions of atoms, a dedicated graphics chip or card are recommended.

2. Note that OVITO can only produce bitmap images. But if your question is whether it is possible to include user-defined vector graphics in the images rendered by OVITO, then I suggest you take a look at the Python script viewport overlay. This feature allows you to paint graphics on top of rendered images, and it might even be possible to load an external SVG vector graphics file and overlay it on the output image.

qqlovekerry

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 08:14:33 AM »
Dear Dr. Stukowski,
Thanks very much for your reply!
1. I think usually my system contains less than 1 million atoms. Is Intel HD graphics 530 integrated graphics card in 6th generation CPU good enough for me? A better graphics card only give better interactive preformance, or it also speeds up the process?
2. Actually, I am kind of hoping OVITO can support rendering vector graphics. Do you think it is worth to add this function?

Best Regards

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 01:25:08 PM »
1. Yes, I would think that the integrated Intel graphics should be sufficient to work with a one-million atoms dataset. The graphics hardware is only used for displaying the atoms. It's not used by Ovito to accelerate other computations.

2. I am not aware of any technique or freely available programming framework that would allow to render the three-dimensional scene including atoms and bonds to a 2d vector graphics format, at least not with the visual quality we get from pixel-based renderers. If you know one, please tell. However, I'm not sure how much benefit this would bring anyway. For the following reason: Ovito is designed for large datasets with millions of atoms. The key advantage of bitmap-based output is that the resulting file size is independent of the number of visual elements in the three-dimensional scene (i.e. atoms, bonds, etc.). Furthermore, unlike with lines and flat surfaces, vector graphics formats often have difficulties to properly describe shaded spheres.

qqlovekerry

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 02:31:51 AM »
Dear Dr. Stukowski,
Thanks very much!
I am glad that it saved my money since in this case I do not need to buy a dedicated graphics card.
One more question is that what is the role of RAM in the processing progress? A higher value of RAM is always recommended, is that right?
I am not familiar with the technique of rendering pictures. The reason I'd like to ask for support of vector graphics is that it seems Latex support them well. Since there is difficulty and is not very worth to do that, I can output pictures in high resolution. I am sorry maybe my previous request is not very proper.

Best Regards