Author Topic: Could you please help me with two questions about rendering pictures?  (Read 2288 times)

qqlovekerry

Hello Dr.Alexander Stukowski and everyone,
My questions are:
1. How can I include the axis tripod in the rendered pictures? I want to use it to indicate the direction in my simulation.
2. If I want to output my selected particles together with a (111) plane in my picture, what should I do? It seems the `slice modifier` only gives lines of the boundary of the plane. I'd like to have a full plane. And it's much better if I can change the color of it.
Any help would be much appreciated!

RU

Re: Could you please help me with two questions about rendering pictures?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 03:06:27 PM »
Hey,

to the first question:

You can add a tripod as an overlay. Just click on the 'Overlays' tab and simply add the Coordinate tripod. You can also modify the axis-directions and colors.
See attached screenshot.

Best regards

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 03:23:46 PM »
Here is also a link to the corresponding page of the user manual, which describes the viewport overlay feature: http://www.ovito.org/manual/viewport_overlays.html

Regarding the second question:

In the current program version, the plane of the Slice modifier will only be visible in the interactive viewports, not in rendered images. The only way to add arbitrary geometry to the three-dimensional scene (e.g. a plane) is to import a VTK file into Ovito that contains a triangle mesh. I have attached an example VTK file containing a tetrahedron made of four triangular faces. The file format is documented here.

Unfortunately, this approach requires that you write the VTK file by hand or use some other tool like ParaView to prepare it. There is no way to generate the plane geometry within Ovito (but you can use the Move tool found in the toolbar to reposition the imported geometry).

qqlovekerry

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 02:34:57 AM »
Dear RU,
Thanks very much! It is wonderful!

Best Regards

qqlovekerry

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 02:42:24 AM »
Dr.Alexander Stukowski,
Thank you very much! It seems complicated for me as I never heard about VTK before. Adding a plane is not mandatory for me. I think I will work on that later. I have tried to import your attached VTK file into OVITO, however, I am sorry I did not find out how to import the file? Could you please tell me?
And one more request is that is that possible to draw an arrow in the rendered image to indicate a direction?
Thanks very much in advance!

Best Regards

qqlovekerry

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 04:59:27 AM »
Dr.Alexander Stukowski,
I think I have found how to draw a arrow by tweaking the axis tripod. So, my previous questions only left the one about importing VTK.

Best Regards

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 10:12:10 AM »
Loading a VTK file works the same way as loading a simulation data file (Select "Load File" from the menu). Pick "Add to scene" when being asked how to import the data from the VTK file into Ovito. This will create a second object in the three-dimensional scene in addition to the simulation dataset that is already loaded.

qqlovekerry

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 10:36:10 AM »
Dr.Alexander Stukowski,
Thanks very much for your help! It works.