Author Topic: How to View only the Particles which I selected  (Read 200 times)

mkoizumi

How to View only the Particles which I selected
« on: June 07, 2019, 07:06:28 AM »
Dear All,

Hello. This is Masato Koizumi from UCLA, and I am an OVITO user.

I am am a LAMMPS user, and when I view a system of polymer chains through OVITO, I wish to see only the monomers which I am interested in. The way I do this in OVITO is go to Expression Select and specify the ParticleIdentifier (which corresponds to the monomer ID number) which I would like to delete. Then I would go to Delete Selected Particles to delete the particles which I do not need so that I could view only the particles which I desire.

Instead of having to specify the particles which I would like to delete to view only the particles which I would like to see in the visual window, is there a way in OVITO to directly view only the Particles which I would like to see.

That is, is there a way in which I can specify ParticleIdentifier in the Expreession Select module and have OVITO output in the visual window only the particles which are specified in the Expression Select module and any ParticleIdentifier not specified in the Experssion Select module will not be viewed.

I checked the OVITO manual but did not come across a way to do this. Having to backcalculate the particles which I do not need may become cumbersome in some cases.

I would greatly appreciate for any suggestions.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Masato Koizumi

Constanze Kalcher

• Administrator
Re: How to View only the Particles which I selected
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 12:02:36 PM »
Dear Masato,

I'm note sure I understand the issue correctly, what do you mean by "backcalculate" the particles?
If you only want to view a certain particle type or monomer type for example, you could use the Select particle type modifier to select the particle types you don't need and then delete them.
If you want to visualize particles with a specific particle identifier only (let's say ID = 10), you can simply use the Expression select modifier to select all others:
Expression: "ParticleIdentifier != 10"
and then apply the Delete selected particles modifier on your selection. Does that answer your question?
The same could be achieved by applying an Expression selection "ParticleIdentifier == 10" in conjunction with the Invert selection modifier and then Delete selected particles modifier.

-Constanze
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 12:05:02 PM by Constanze Kalcher »