Author Topic: VGL Error  (Read 74 times)

lcosta

VGL Error
« on: March 27, 2019, 05:26:15 PM »
Getting the following error trying to run the ovito-2.9.0 binary on Linux

[VGL] ERROR: Could not load symbol "xcb_poll_for_queued_event"
[VGL]    /usr/lib64/libxcb.so.1: undefined symbol: xcb_poll_for_queued_event

This is on an HPC system that I do not have admin access to and I am using a VNC client.

EDIT: I spoke to the HPC admins and they say it's an issue with QT5, which this system, soon to be decommissioned, does not support. What is the latest version of Ovito before QT5?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:24:48 PM by lcosta »

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
Re: VGL Error
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 11:34:03 AM »
Hi,

Ovito has been based on Qt5 from the very beginning. Ovito 2.9.0 was using version 5.7 of the Qt libraries, the new Ovito 3.0.0 builds for Linux use Qt 5.9.

I'm not an expert for this, but yes, the error message seems to suggest that the system libraries on the host machine are outdated and would need to be replaced with a newer version in order to run Ovito through the VNC connection. If that is also the conclusion of the sys admins, then there probably isn't an easy way out, sorry.

-Alex
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:35:41 AM by Alexander Stukowski »

lcosta

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 05:35:52 PM »
Can Ovito be run without the GUI (and without calling QT5) by scripting and having it dump images?

EDIT: From the manual: Note that render() returns a QImage, giving you the possibility to manipulate the rendered picture before saving it to disk.
So I'm guessing that even dumping an image requires QT5? Unless OVITO supports another alternative.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 06:40:52 PM by lcosta »

Constanze Kalcher

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 07:52:38 PM »
Hi Icosta,

no unfortunately that doesn't work.
Maybe you know this already, but OVITO also has the option to import remote files.
http://www.ovito.org/manual/usage.import.html
So if the issue is that you cannot copy the files, that might be a solution for you.

-Constanze