Author Topic: Orbit center  (Read 301 times)

csbrasnett

Orbit center
« on: January 16, 2019, 11:57:46 AM »
I'm analysing some data through a series of translations (outside of Ovito) and then looking at in Ovito. However, I can't seem to be able to define my simulation cell post-translation correctly.

If I switch viewing the simulation box and the particles on and off, the orbit center appears to be moving to the 'correct' centers of the particles and simulation cell respectively, so I was wondering how this was calculated? (If both are switched on, it appears to be somewhere between the two 'single' centers'.)

Thanks! Chris

csbrasnett

Re: Orbit center
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 12:26:02 PM »
Ok, it looks like its the respective means of the x, y, z components of the particles, I was being stupid.

Constanze Kalcher

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 12:53:47 PM »
Hi Chris,

sounds like the issue solved itself. Just in case you'll need further input, can you explain to me what you mean by "orbit center" and "single center"?
No need to reply if you consider this resolved.

-Constanze

csbrasnett

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 01:02:12 PM »
Hi Constanze,

For orbit center, I was meaning the default rotation centre in the viewport - where the rgb cross appears with respect to the particles in the system.

For single center, I was trying to say that if I'm only looking at either the particles (without the box), or the box (without wrongly translated particles), the orbit center changes position to what looks like the respective axis mean of the particles/box respectively. Then if I'm looking at both the offset particles and the box at the same time, the orbit center looks like some mean of the two. Hopefully that makes sense?

Chris

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 04:04:57 PM »
Hi Chris,

OVITO uses the geometric center of the axis-aligned bounding box enclosing all objects that are currently visible as camera orbit center by default. Thus, if you hide some objects such as the simulation cell or the particles, the dynamically computed bounding box changes accordingly. In particular this will be the case if some of the particles are positioned outside the simulation cell (which otherwise determines the "bounding box" just by itself).

You can manually override the dynamically computed orbit center by double-clicking on an object in the viewports. However, there currently is no way to specify the coordinates of the orbit center numerically.

-Alex