Author Topic: Ovito repeatedly crashes on MacOs Mojave with Bus Error 10  (Read 278 times)

karthikguda

Ovito repeatedly crashes on MacOs Mojave with Bus Error 10
« on: January 03, 2019, 06:45:05 PM »
Dear Admin,

My Ovito installation started crashing repeatedly upon initializing DXA analysis on my Mac with Bus error 10. I think the Bus error is probably related to dynamic memory allocation. Does this indicate that the memory allocated to Ovito on my Mac is full after repeated use of DXA analysis? Can you please suggest a work around for this problem? I have already uninstalled and installed my Ovito multiple times.

regards,
Dr. Karthik Guda
Purdue University

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
Re: Ovito repeatedly crashes on MacOs Mojave with Bus Error 10
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 09:29:26 PM »
Hi,

I've never heard of "Bus error 10" before, and I don't know what it means. But it is possible that it indicates an out-of-memory situation. Keep in mind that DXA is a memory intensive algorithm. You need at least 1 kilobyte of free memory per input atom!

However, Ovito should allocate memory only while the DXA analysis is running and release it again after DXA is done. Let me know if you have the feeling that the error is not memory related. Please use Activity Monitor of macOS to check the memory consumption of Ovito.

-Alex

karthikguda

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 11:48:07 PM »
Dear Alexander Stukowski,

I have 450000 atoms in my system. I worked with much larger systems while using the DXA analysis till a few hours. Ovito started crashing only recently. Is it possible that the DXA modifier is not freeing up the memory that it used when not active? Are there any specific files that can be manually removed? I am unable to monitor memory usage via activity monitor as Ovito almost instantaneously aborts upon DXA initiation. Otherwise, Ovito memory usage doesn't exceed 200 MB. Please see attached crash report.

regards,
Karthik

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 03:31:48 AM »
Dear Karthik,

the crash report that you sent suggests that the failure, which looks like an infinite recursion, occurs inside a third-party library routine, which is used by the DXA algorithm of Ovito to construct the Delaunay tessellation.

You are using Ovito 2.9.0. I suggest you try the current development build, Ovito 3.0.0-dev322. It comes with a newer version of the Geogram library. Maybe the problem has been solved by the authors of that library.

-Alex

karthikguda

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 09:50:55 PM »
Dear Alexander Stukowski,

Thank you for your reply. Looks like the latest build doesn't encounter the problem I have reported before.

Best regards,
Karthik