Author Topic: Shifting the System Along an Axis  (Read 48 times)

jatin1990

Shifting the System Along an Axis
« on: September 10, 2018, 05:57:17 PM »
Hello,

Can anybody please tell me, is there a feature in OVITO by which we can shift the system along a axis so that we can see a feature in the system in it's center instead of watching it half split at one corner and wrapping around at the other corner. I'm attaching the screenshot of my system which is showing a wrinkle in graphene sheet at its corner which I want to see in the center of the system.

Thank you.

Constanze Kalcher

• Administrator
Re: Shifting the System Along an Axis
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 07:24:39 PM »
Hi jatin1990,

you could use the Affine Transformation modifier in conjunction with the Wrap at periodic boundaries modifier. (This is in case you're using OVITO 2.9).

You can translate the atoms only with the Affine Transformation modifier: Choose Transform particle positions and unselect Transform simulation cell. The Wrap at periodic boundaries modifier will then map those atoms back into the simulation cell that you moved out of your cell.

Does that work for you?
-Constanze

jatin1990

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 02:09:25 AM »
Hi Constanze,

Thanks a lot! That was what I was looking for exactly. Initially I was using affine transformation but without using wrap at periodic boundary modifier which was not giving me expected result. Just as a add up, why I can't do it in the OVITO 3.0?

Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 02:30:46 AM by jatin1990 »

Constanze Kalcher

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 07:06:03 AM »
Hi,

ok great! You can of course do it in OVITO 3.0, it's just that the Affine Transformation modifier looks slightly different there. You will find an "Operate on" panel at the bottom, where you need to select Particles and unselect Simulation cell.
Sorry for the confusion.

-Constanze

jatin1990

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 12:07:33 AM »
Hi,

No problem. It works like charms.

Thanks again!