Author Topic: Calculating the velocity of a, or group of atoms.  (Read 346 times)

jatink

Calculating the velocity of a, or group of atoms.
« on: September 14, 2018, 12:22:44 AM »
Hello,

I want to calculate the x-velocity of a particle between two given frames. I'm following this doc "https://www.ovito.org/manual_testing/particles.modifiers.compute_property.html" but I'm unable to help my self to find out the definition of all "Available input variables" given on the right side of the webpage so that I can make expression of velocity. Can anybody please give me the corresponding page or any short similar example to calculate the velocity of a group or single particle.

Thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:32:13 AM by jatin1990 »

Constanze Kalcher

• Administrator
Re: Calculating the velocity of a, or group of atoms.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 02:14:40 PM »
Hello,

the Compute Property Modifier only lets you reference the Particle Properties at the current frame, which appear in the Variables panel.
These particle properties are either part of your input data or the result of a modifier calculation you performed.

Have you considered using the Displacement vectors modifier to calculate the atomic displacements in reference to your initial frame? Then you will have access to these values in the Compute Property Modifier as "Displacement.X", etc.

-Constanze

jatink

Re: Calculating the velocity of a, or group of atoms.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 11:42:30 PM »
Thanks Constanze. I got it. And it's working.