Author Topic: visualization of vectors by arrows  (Read 44 times)

starmm11

visualization of vectors by arrows
« on: August 07, 2018, 01:59:12 PM »
Hi!

I noticed that the vectors don't look like the arrows during visualization. They look more like lines
with circle at the end for the normal style and like small flat almost unnoticeable arrows for the flat style.
May be I'm doing something wrong. Anyway, is there any way to make a vector look more like a line with an arrow?

Regards
Ilya

Constanze Kalcher

• Administrator
Re: visualization of vectors by arrows
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 03:29:11 PM »
Hi Ilya,

could you send us a screenshot or even better upload the .ovito state file so we can understand what you're doing.

Best,
Constanze

starmm11

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 03:47:21 PM »
Here are the examples of visualization with arrows that are supported in Ovito.
The bottom figure is the arrow which I want to use in my figures.

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 03:59:35 PM »
Dear Ilya,

The arrows would look better if the vectors were parallel to the projection plane of the viewport. In your case, I assume, the vectors have a large component perpendicular to the projection plane (i.e. along the y-axis). That's why the heads of the (flat-shaded) arrows appear degenerate in the second picture and that's why you see the circular bottoms of the head cones of the normal-shaded arrows in the first picture.

Maybe there is a way for you to reduce the out-of-plane component of the vectors and project them into the plane of the viewport. This should improve the arrow visualization.

-Alex

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 04:05:55 PM »
You seem to be using the "Left" viewport of OVITO. That means the y-z plane is the projection plane in this case. You can reset the x-component of the vectors to 0.0 using OVITO Compute Property modifier. This should give you "nicer" arrow heads.

starmm11

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 04:38:25 PM »
Thanks a lot for your answer! This completely solved my problem!