Author Topic: VTK mesh transparency  (Read 52 times)

Tomek

VTK mesh transparency
« on: May 07, 2018, 04:32:27 PM »
Hi,

I would like to visualise a motion of a particle set (*.dump format) along with a *.vtk based geometry. In addition to the way it works at the moment, it would be useful to display the meshed geometry as transparent. Is there a way of doing it?

Thank you,
Tomek

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
Re: VTK mesh transparency
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 06:46:33 PM »
Dear Tomek,

For VTK triangle mesh files that do not contain any color information, OVITO already allows you to set the global transparency of the mesh. See the attached screenshot.

However, for VTK geometries containing color information, like in the following example file, the transparency setting has no effect:

https://gitlab.com/stuko/ovito/blob/master/tests/files/VTK/ThomsonTet_Gr1_rotmatNonRand_unstructGrid.vtk

But note that the color values in the VTK file typically have 4 components (RGBA), allowing you to specify an alpha transparency value for each triangle cell in the input file. OVITO will use this per-face transparency information.

-Alex
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 06:48:09 PM by Alexander Stukowski »

Tomek

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 08:16:30 PM »
Thank you Alex:)

I think I need to update OVITO and try again - I was using version 2.6.2 when testing this. Also, thank you for the more detailed explanation regarding the color information within VTK.

Best regards,
Tomek

Tomek

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 08:33:37 AM »
 :) OK, thank you, I am confirming that I was able to find it now :)