Author Topic: Wall Visualization in OVITO  (Read 155 times)

eantipov

Wall Visualization in OVITO
« on: April 27, 2018, 10:10:31 PM »
Hello!

Does anyone know if there is a way to visualize (color) a wall in OVITO?
What I mean by that: at some point during the simulation i am introducing a cylindrical wall in the middle of the particles, which acts with particles according to a certain potential. So, this wall pushes particles away in the middle of the simulation box.
I was wondering - is there i was to color this "cylinder"?

Thank you very much.
Regards,
Egor

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
Re: Wall Visualization in OVITO
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 10:20:58 PM »
Hi Egor,

OVITO can import VTK files containing triangular meshes, letting your visualise arbitrary geometries in addition to the particles. This could provide a way to visualise your cylindrical wall.

You could use the free ParaView software to produce the VTK file to be imported in OVITO.

Here you can find an example VTK file containing color information, which can be read by OVITO:

https://gitlab.com/stuko/ovito/blob/master/tests/files/VTK/ThomsonTet_Gr1_rotmatNonRand_unstructGrid.vtk

Let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,
Alex

Afshin

Re: Wall Visualization in OVITO
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 10:25:59 PM »
Hi,

if your wall consists of atoms:

The simplest approach would be using Select Particles and only choose atoms inside that cylindrical wall; then, Color Code the selected particles.
Is there any specific distinction between atoms in the wall and atoms outside it? such as "type" or "range of atomic IDs" or anything else that guides OVITO to select the correct particles.

Otherwise:

Alex suggestions seems to be a good solution.