Author Topic: rendering quality  (Read 170 times)

Kevin

rendering quality
« on: March 11, 2018, 11:15:00 PM »
Hello OVITO users,

I am using 'TachyonRenderer' to output a movie from dump files. (TachyonRenderer is used because I am outputting movie on the remote cluster, so openGL doesn't work)

As you can see from the attached file, quality of the picture is low. This happens so because I am using very big simulation box (3200 angstrom in x direction). Is there a way to increase the definition of the movie?

-Kyu

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
Re: rendering quality
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 11:09:40 AM »
Dear Kyu,

Yes, you can specify the resolution of the image or movie to be rendered in pixels. It is done by settings the size attribute of the RenderSettings object as shown here:

http://ovito.org/manual/python/introduction/rendering.html#id1

You might have to adjust the zoom level as well to make the simulation box fill the entire picture. This is done through the Viewport.fov attribute.

-Alex

Kevin

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 04:24:41 AM »
Hi Dr.Stukowski,

You indicated that I could change the zoom level with Viewport.fov attribute, but I am not sure how this changes the zoom level.

Doesn't Viewport.fov attribute change the angle of the camera, not the zoom level?

-Kyu

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 08:00:10 AM »
Yes, the FOV parameter does control the "zoom level". For viewports using a perspective projection, this parameter specifies the angle of view, i.e. the opening angle of the camera's viewing frustum. A smaller FOV value will make the viewing frustum more narrow and objects will appear larger when projected.

For viewports with parallel (orthographic) projections, the FOV value controls the visible area of the projection. Again, smaller FOV values will make objects appear larger.

Note that in both cases the FOV value does not change the orientation or viewing direction of the virtual camera. Nor does is affect the position of the camera in  space.