Author Topic: getting animation to save file  (Read 274 times)

rgust

getting animation to save file
« on: January 28, 2018, 01:17:02 AM »
I have an animation from a sequence of time snap shots from lammps custom dump files.  The animation shows fine in OVITO.  However, If I go to animation control slide, and type in a file to save the animation to, it pops open the file save window, then complains it can't find the file and won't save anything.  What might I be doing incorrectly? I.e. I go to "Render Active Viewport", Click "Render Output - Save to file" then click "Choose" then tell it to save as an mp4. and a .avi  I type a name in, and it complains in gray in the file list the "no items match your search".  I am trying to make a new file, not find an existing one.  What is wrong?  I am running 2.9.0.  I have also tried saving as a series of .png files - wont save those either

rgust

Re: getting animation to save file
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 08:31:38 PM »
OK - I have answered my own question.  In addition to setting up the animation settings in the Animation "Render Activie Viewport Menu" (right hand side"), you also have to click on the "Render Active Viewport" on the top menu bar to actually save the animation.  It does not mention this in the manual, and as they have the same name and symbol, but do different things,  I think this is a little confusion

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
Re: getting animation to save file
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 04:08:56 PM »
Dear rgust,

Please excuse my late reply. I've been on vacation for a few days.

It sounds like you've already figured out yourself how to solve the problem. I am still not sure what kind of issue you were struggling with when you wrote the first post. But your second post suggests that it was due to some confusion about the way OVITO saves (or rather doesn't save) the rendered images and videos. I took your feedback as an opportunity to extend and revise the corresponding section in the user manual:

http://ovito.org/manual_testing/core.render_settings.html

Hope that clarifies the situation. If you have any further comments or feedback, please let me know.

-Alex
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 04:18:41 PM by Alexander Stukowski »