Author Topic: What is the function of Ovito.conf at ~/.config/Ovito?  (Read 349 times)

qqlovekerry

What is the function of Ovito.conf at ~/.config/Ovito?
« on: December 24, 2017, 01:30:17 PM »
Dear Alexander Stukowski and everyone,
Occasionally I found that there is a file named Ovito.conf at location ~/.config/Ovito. Could you please tell me what is the function of this file? It seems the information of customized modifier is stored in this file. Maybe it can be used to save personal configurations when one tries to move to a new computer. Please tell me more about this file.
Thanks very much in advance!

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
Re: What is the function of Ovito.conf at ~/.config/Ovito?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 03:17:18 PM »
Yes, this is the configuration file written by OVITO to store the user settings. You will note that the application settings dialog of OVITO shows the path to this config file at the bottom.

The config file stores -among other things- the default parameters of built-in modifiers if they have been modified by the user, the list of custom modifier presets, the application settings, default particle types names and colors, and the file path history.

-Alexander

qqlovekerry

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 10:03:09 AM »
Dear Dr. Alexander Stukowski,
Thanks very much for your reply!
I feel this file is very useful. I just moved to another computer. I can use my customized modifiers with just copying the file to the new computer. Maybe the function of this file can be written in the manual of OVITO if you think it is necessary. It can save lots of time if one wants to preserve some personal configurations.

With My Best Regards,
Liu

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 05:16:59 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion. I extended the user manual to describe how and where OVITO keeps its configuration data:

http://ovito.org/manual_testing/application_settings.html