Author Topic: Segmentation fault -- (Linux) OVITO 3.0.0-dev60  (Read 582 times)

yidongxia

Segmentation fault -- (Linux) OVITO 3.0.0-dev60
« on: December 20, 2017, 04:56:47 PM »
Alex,

It occurred when I tried to render image with the OSPRay engine, using 144 million particles. Error message looks like below

[4] 5866
[3]   Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ovito

o-- The error has nothing to do with the size of image I wanted to render, I guess; Even 640x480 will lead to the Segmentation fault crash.
o-- I did not add additional data modification or manipulation in OVITO; just pure rendering after data is loaded.
o-- My Ubuntu desktop has 64GB RAM, which I thought is enough for the rendering I wanted to do.
o-- If I use much fewer particles for the rendering, no error occurs.

The information here may still look insufficient for debugging purpose. But I am not able to share the data I am using, because the file size is about 11 GB. I can provide any possible additional information if I can. Any comment is highly appreciated!

yidongxia

Re: Segmentation fault -- (Linux) OVITO 3.0.0-dev60
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 05:21:21 PM »
BTW, later on when I tried a data file with < 100 million particles, rendering with OPSRay works OK.

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 02:57:27 PM »
Thank you for reporting this problem. When I wrote the OSPRay rendering module for OVITO, I had tested it only with 90M atoms.
I created a record in our issue tracker and will do some testing myself as soon as possible:

https://gitlab.com/stuko/ovito/issues/66

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 10:29:28 AM »
I was able to reproduce and analyze the segfault. It seems to be due to a bug (or a limitation?) in the OSPRay code. I filed a bug report to the OSPRay developers:

https://github.com/ospray/ospray/issues/207

I will try to develop a workaround in the OVITO code for the bug.