Author Topic: Problems starting Ovito on Linux Centos 7  (Read 899 times)

moonlitknight

Problems starting Ovito on Linux Centos 7
« on: November 21, 2017, 04:21:19 PM »
Hi everybody,

I used Ovito for a while some months ago and it was working fine (version 2.8.1). Yesterday I tried opening it again and I get the error message:

`This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "xcb"
in "".

Available platform plugins are: minimal, offscreen, xcb.

Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
Aborted (core dumped)'

So I downloaded version 2.9.0, but got the same problem.

I've looked up the problem and tried some fixes which were suggested for the same error message but with different applications (not Ovito), however nothing changed and I am now totally clueless.

Has anybody had the same problem and found a solution? Any ideas, please?

I'm on a Linux Centos 7 and the files I downloaded are ovito-2.8.1-x86_64.tar.gz and ovito-2.9.0-x86_64.tar.gz

Thank you very much in advance for any advice.

M

tcphan

Re: Problems starting Ovito on Linux Centos 7
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 09:32:31 PM »
I got the exact same problem and I fixed it by adding all the following lib paths in ovito folder to LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I know one or few of those caused the problem but I just add all the path to make sure it works.

[path]/ovito-2.9.0-x86_64/lib/ovito/
[path]/ovito-2.9.0-x86_64/lib/ovito/lib/
[path]/ovito-2.9.0-x86_64/lib/ovito/plugins/
[path]/ovito-2.9.0-x86_64/lib/ovito/plugins_qt/bearer/
[path]/ovito-2.9.0-x86_64/lib/ovito/plugins_qt/imageformats/
[path]/ovito-2.9.0-x86_64/lib/ovito/plugins_qt/platforms/
[path]/ovito-2.9.0-x86_64/lib/ovito/plugins_qt/xcbglintegrations/

A better way is to create a module file for ovito which includes all these paths and load it when you need to run ovito.

Best,

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 12:28:48 AM »
typhoon,

Thank you for sharing your solution of the problem, which seemed to be due to a library path configuration issue in the older Ovito program packages. I hope I was able to fix this issue in the latest Ovito package (development build v3.0.0-dev284) that is available now. It should run out of the box, without the need to change the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable on CentOS Linux. Let me know if it doesn't.

-Alex

tcphan

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 06:25:39 PM »
Hi Alex,

I just tried the latest Ovito package and the problem still occurs with the same error.
I'm using a RHEL 7 machine though. It seems like this problem occurs after my RHEL is updated from 7.4->7.6 recently

Best,

Thanh

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 10:37:46 AM »
Hi Tanh,

Thanks for letting me know that the problem persists. I'm not sure, this time it may be a different library issue.
Perhaps I will find some time to install RHEL on one of our machines to test this myself, but in the meantime it would be helpful if you could execute Ovito with the LD_DEBUG environment variable set. This should produce log output that can help me diagnose (and perhaps solve) the problem:

LD_DEBUG=libs ./bin/ovito

Please save the generated output to a text file and attach it when posting a reply. Thanks.

-Alex

tcphan

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 12:00:06 AM »
Hi Alex,

I have attached the output log below.

I hope this help.

Best,

Thanh

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 08:18:31 AM »
Thanks for posting the LD_DEBUG output. This gave me a first idea what is failing during startup. It seems like the (incompatible) library file /lib64/libQt5XcbQpa.so.5 is getting loaded instead of the internal version ovito-3.0.0-dev284-x86_64/lib/ovito/lib/libQt5XcbQpa.so.5 for some reason.

On your system, the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable is set to the value /lib64:/usr/lib64. Do you know whether this is the default value under RHEL 7, or did you set LD_LIBRARY_PATH yourself? I am wondering if it makes a difference when you run Ovito without LD_LIBRARY_PATH being set (like it is the case under Ubuntu, for example):

LD_DEBUG=libs LD_LIBRARY_PATH= ./bin/ovito

Another fix you could try (not sure if it will work):

cd ovito-3.0.0-dev284-x86_64/lib/ovito/plugins_qt/platforms/
  ln -s ../../lib/libQt5XcbQpa.so.5 .

tcphan

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 09:13:17 PM »
The LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable seems to be set to /lib64:/usr/lib64 by default. I'm not sure if this is default under RHEL 7 or is set by the administrator who set up my work desktop. But when I clear it out, I can open OVITO with no issue.