Author Topic: Problem with remote file loading  (Read 55 times)

Jérôme Claverie

Problem with remote file loading
« on: November 18, 2017, 10:47:59 PM »
Hello,

When trying to import a remote file, I have the following Error message:

Cannot access URL

SFTP Error: Server could not start SFTP subsystem
I already use FileZilla with the same address and I faced no problems.

Thank you for helping me.

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
Re: Problem with remote file loading
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 07:09:54 PM »
Dear Jérôme,

I tried to find out more about this error online, but this doesn't seem to be a common problem. There are two possible explanations: (1) the SSH server is not properly configured, or (2) there is a compatibility problem between the SSH/SFTP client library used by OVITO and the SSH server.

I know that OVITO's built-in SSH client has some limitations, in particular with regard to the key encryption methods it supports. However, this particular type of error message has not been reported before. So it is entirely possible that the problem lies on the server side. FileZilla might be smarter and can work around the problem, or it using another protocol.

Unfortunately there is not much I can do from here. I am by no means an expert for SSH client/server communications and the SFTP protocol. The third-party code library used by OVITO for remote file transfer hasn't been updated for some time now and is not really well supported. But it is the only solution currently available. If the remote access doesn't work for you, you might be forced to copy your files to the local computer first before you can open them in OVITO.

-Alex

Jérôme Claverie

Re: Problem with remote file loading
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 11:48:07 PM »
Dear Alexander,

Thank you very much for your consideration.
I was just testing this feature to try to access my dump files directly on the ssh server.

Anyway, I am still a great fan of OVITO!

Best
Jérôme