Author Topic: OVITO opens with black window only  (Read 633 times)

mhartmann

OVITO opens with black window only
« on: October 24, 2017, 04:50:28 PM »
OVITO was previously working fine. Recently, when opening OVITO the window remains black and I can not do anything (see screenshot). This might be due to a renaming of a folder previously used by OVITO. Any idea where OVITO is saving the information on previous used paths?

best,
m

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
Re: OVITO opens with black window only
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 01:40:30 PM »
I don't think this issue is in any way related to the path OVITO is installed in. Typically, a black window like this is a sign for graphics system problem.

Please check if your graphics driver is installed correctly. Sometimes reinstalling it can solve such a problem. Sometimes simply restarting the computer may help as well (because the Linux system packages are being automatically updated in the background, which can temporarily put the OpenGL graphics system into a non-working state).

Please also check whether other OpenGL-based programs work correctly or not. It may be a system-wide issue. For example, you can start the "glxgears" test program, which comes with most Linux distributions, from the terminal.

That being said, let me also answer your question:

OVITO stores its application settings in the config file $HOME/.config/Ovito/Ovito.conf under Linux. You can delete this file to reset OVITO into its default state.