Author Topic: Can OVITO Read dump files from LAMMPS written as .dcd.files?  (Read 1272 times)

rgust

Can OVITO Read dump files from LAMMPS written as .dcd.files?
« on: August 04, 2017, 07:37:58 AM »
I have a bunch of  LAMMPS dump files that are written out as .dcd format.  Can these be read by OVITO if OVITO is on the same computer as that which generated the files?  If not, can you suggest a tool to convert them to something machine independent OVITO can read?

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
Re: Can OVITO Read dump files from LAMMPS written as .dcd.files?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 10:58:17 AM »
I'm sorry, but OVITO cannot read files in the DCD format at all.

You have to convert the file to something that OVITO can read. See the list of supported formats at the end of this page: http://ovito.org/manual/usage.import.html

I cannot recommend a file conversion utility, I never used one. But perhaps somebody else here can.

rgust

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 12:32:46 AM »
If I convert to a cfg file, are there any specific requirements for what OVITO is looking for? LAMMPS dump command for cfg offers a lot of options.  For instance, does it read standard or extend or both cfg options (per Atomeye spec)

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 06:56:37 PM »
I can confirm that OVITO can read standard as well es extended CFG files. So far I haven't heard of any problems with the CFG files produced by LAMMPS, so there is not much to look out for when writing these files.