Author Topic: Is there a way to make bonds transparent?  (Read 580 times)

tytang

Is there a way to make bonds transparent?
« on: May 26, 2017, 11:40:00 PM »
Hi guys,

I was using "create bonds" command to automatically create bonds between particles within certain distance.
Next, I tried to make particles transparent, and there comes the problem. The bonds would remain opaque which make it looks weird. As the title stated, is there any existing modification that I can use to make bonds transparent? Or if its possible that the author can add this feature? Your help is deeply appreciated.

Best,
Dan

Jérôme Claverie

Re: Is there a way to make bonds transparent?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 11:15:58 PM »
Hello,

I have the same issue. Is there a workaround?

Best,
Jérôme

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
Re: Is there a way to make bonds transparent?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 11:51:39 AM »
Dan, Jérôme,

Please excuse my long silence in this matter.

The answer is negative: Support for semi-transparent bonds is lacking in OVITO. It hasn't been implemented yet, mostly because it would require a more complex OpenGL rendering pipeline and the resulting visual quality would not be as expected, because bond cylinders typically intersect with the particle spheres.

I have now created an official feature request for this. Maybe I can find time in the future to add support for semi-transparent bonds:

https://gitlab.com/stuko/ovito/issues/100

I cannot really think of a good workaround. Perhaps, in some cases, it is possible to render the particle/bond system fully opaque using OVITO and then superimpose the image on a background using a photo-editing software and make it semi-transparent. Not really a great solution, I know...

-Alex