Author Topic: Problem with ovito stopping suddenly  (Read 2415 times)

rangsiman

Problem with ovito stopping suddenly
« on: May 25, 2017, 07:16:12 AM »
I did visualize the simulation system from LAMMPS dump file. I want to use cluster analysis module, but, when I requested that module the ovito has stopped suddenly as well as popping up the warning error message. It is "ovito.exe has stopped working .... ".

ps. I am using Window 10 with intel i7 4 core/ 8threads and Memory of 8 GBs.

Can anyone help me to fix this issue ? Thank you,
Rangsiman Ketkaew
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:47:41 AM by rangsiman »

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
Re: Problem with ovito stopping suddenly
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 09:22:56 AM »
Dear Rangsiman,

This sounds like a bug in Ovito's cluster analysis routine, but let's see, I will need some more information to find out what is going wrong. It would be best if you could send me the dump file that is causing the program crash. I will then try to reproduce the problem and hopefully find a quick way to fix it.

It's best if you report this kind of bug report directly to me (mail [at] ovito.org) or, even better, create an issue in our bug tracking system on GitLab in the future (https://gitlab.com/stuko/ovito/issues).

Anyway, can you send me the dump file via email? Or, if it is too big, put it on a share hosting service and send me a link?
Thanks.

-Alex

rangsiman

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 10:34:55 AM »
Dear Alex,

The google drive's sharing link where locates my dump file is at the end of this post. This simulation system mainly contains 100,000 beads of polymer as matrix and carbon nanotube as filler. I want to use cluster analysis function to study the nanotube bundle.

It looks like only the Ovito window version' cluster analysis abnormally terminated the program. So I've switched using Ovito on Ubuntu instead. It works well as smooth as silk. Right now I can use that module.

Thanks you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Rangsiman

Download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8IHlfY20sXoTTByZExYZjhlMVU/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 10:40:29 AM by rangsiman »

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 10:26:23 PM »
Thanks, I have downloaded the LAMMPS file. I am currently on a vacation trip, but when I return, I will check if I notice anything unusual when applying the Coordination Analysis modifier to this dataset under Windows.

Can you please confirm that the problem occurred as soon as you inserted the Coordination Analysis modifier after loading the dataset without any other operation being performed before? You did not even have the chance to change the cutoff distance parameter of the cluster analysis?

Furthermore, I noticed that the dump file contains multiple simulation frames. Did you look at frame 0?

rangsiman

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 11:22:46 AM »
Dear Dr. Sorry for my late reply.

Yes, the Ovito ran down as soon as Cluster analysis module is selected. By the way, I also had tried using the data file of LAMMPS with single frame, it also crashed the program similar to using multiple-frame data file.

Regards,
Rangsiman