Author Topic: Ovito crashes at 'Load File', because of not accessible path  (Read 2006 times)

RU

Ovito crashes at 'Load File', because of not accessible path
« on: January 18, 2017, 10:16:27 AM »
Hello,

i have a problem with Ovito crashing, when i click the 'Load File' button.
I assume that the reason is, that ovito saves (somewhere) the path of the last loaded input file and tries to access the path for usability reasons? My problem is that the path links to an local server, which is not more avaiblable anymore (server crashed, and it will take some days to recover).

My question now is:
Is the last path saved for usability reasons? If so, where it is saved and how can i reset it?
I also reinstalled Ovito but the error still occurs, so i guess the path is stored somewhere global?

Maybe my assumption is wrong, but for now it seems to be the most likely reason, since i never had the problem before the server crash.
If my assumption is right, maybe the error can be catched in following versions, so that ovito does not crash?

Thanks & Best Regards
RU

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
Re: Ovito crashes at 'Load File', because of not accessible path
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 12:00:37 PM »
Hi,

Yes, Ovito keeps a list of recently accessed directories and the most recently accessed directory will automatically be opened in the file selection dialog. This list is stored in the application settings file or registry branch, depending on the type of operating system. The location of that file/registry entry is displayed at the bottom of Ovito's application settings dialog.

You can delete the settings file or registry tree to reset Ovito to its default settings. If you are specifically, interested in the directory list, look for an entry named 'import\history' under the '[filedialog]' group.

I don't have an explanation for the program crash. If the non-existing path is the reason, then it's a bug in the Qt library, which is responsible for the file selection dialog. Ovito itself does not try to access the path.

The Qt library provides two versions of the file selection dialog: the native dialog of the operating system and a platform-independent one. As a workaround, you can try to switch to the other type. Ovito provides a corresponding option in the application settings dialog ("Use alternative file selection dialog"). Try this first before resetting Ovito completely, and let me know if it solves the problem.

Best regards.
Alexander

RU

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 02:14:59 PM »
Hey,

thanks for the fast and helpful answer.

My OS is windows.

Changing the file selection dialog to the alternative one solved my problem, that works.
After changing back to the normal file selection dialog, this one also works for me but opening the selection box takes about 10 seconds, while the programm does not receive any feedback ('Keine Rückmeldung').
After changing the preferred file path to a local path in the registry, the selection box opens immediately. Changing the preferred file path back to the non existing server, i can reproduce the 10 seconds of no response, but without any crash.
Maybe this helps you.

Best regards

Alexander Stukowski

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 08:42:36 AM »
Thanks for describing your experience. I will look into this when I find some time. But it's likely a bug in the Qt library itself, which is responsible for this, and there is not much I can do about it.

Previously, another Ovito user also reported a program crash after choosing "Load File". This one turned out to be a compatibility problem between Qt and the Dell backup and Recovery software installed on his system (see https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-41416). Again, switching to the alternative File Selection dialog solved the problem.